Wednesday, February 08, 2006

2/8/06 Journal entry - Dirty Lenin

It seems that for weeks I’ve done nothing but sit at the computer and do business work from mornign till night. Last night at 7PM I got an email that one of my clients, a band called ISM, was doing a showcase in Manhattan, a hour later at 8PM. I decided to just get up and go check it out.

It was at a club called Crash Mansion on the Bowery, right down the street from CBGB’s. First I had to talk my way through the door because I didn’t feel like paying the 8-dollar cover charge when I expected the bands to suck,

When I got there the bands were doing sound-check. I met their label exec, (who owes me a $1500 check) and soon the thing became a schmooze fest as he and his people drilled me for info about the music business and such.

I had a drink or two and the first band came on called Dirty Lenin. Click here for website They had two chick singers and some older guys on bass and drums. Usually when I go see bands at clubs they are all so boring that I can’t stand it, but this band was really fun. They had interesting song structures, good energy onstage, and I kind of zest that makes you feel excited.

By the time their set was over I was a bit buzzed from the Vodka. The lead singer chick, her name is Renee, came over to talk to me. She was attractive and nice, but with the loud music I just couldn’t hear a damn thing she was saying. She’s talking away and I’m nodding my head, but I got no idea what it’s all about.

I’m not sure why sometimes I push people away that I’m attracted to, I should have asked her to join me at a table away from the noise, but instead I cut her off and said, “It’s really nice to meet you, I’ll try to contact you through your website.’

Afterwards I went upstairs and out to the street to use the cellphone. I called my friend Marnie. On the streets the air was cold and I felt drunk and desperate and very alive. I left Marnie a hungry, incoherent message and went back down.

When ISM came on, I was quite surprised that I liked them as well. Usually I hate modern alternative stuff, but they had really good songwriting and great stage presence. I was really impressed.

Today it’s back to the computer, but tonight I am going to a Grammy party thrown by the recording academy. Lots of free booze and a room full of Wanna-Bees.Should be a good time all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home