Monday, February 04, 2008

What Lies Beneath?

Something Lies Beneath
I can feel it in my bones
If I can scratch away the air I am sure it will be revealed
But the air is too slippery
And the veil cannot be pierced

What lies beneath?
I can feel it vibrating when I am quiet
With a knife I slash away at the ocean
But the water is too wilely
It parts and then consumes my weapon
Not even a drop of blood?
Not even a spark of electricity?
I have failed again

I know it is there
There are times when I can almost see it
Perhaps it is a flash so bright it dissolves every thought?
Perhaps it is an explosion within the very atoms ?

I break rocks against concrete yet it remains hidden
I bite a grain of sand between my teeth but it simply dissolves
It taunts in the campfire flame
But when I reach into the flame to try to grasp it
My skin merely melt away

At night I lay silent hoping to catch it sneaking past my bed
But to no avail
In a silence that allows not even a single thought
I can almost hear it whisper
In the moment between waking and sleep it winks at me
But still its secret remains safe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home